Seriously, I need your help. Recently my wife commented how sad and depressing the nightstand on my side of the bed had become. You see, I’m ambitious in my plans to read everything I can to help me figure out my life situation. But I tend to read at night, and only make it through a handful of pages before I fall asleep. Books have been piling up for months. A list of what I say ‘good morning’ and ‘good night’ to lately:
• Rowing Without Oars: A Memoir of Living and Dying
• I Remember Running: The Year I Got Everything I Ever Wanted--and ALS
• The Anatomy of Hope: How People Prevail in the Face of Illness
• The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
• Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness
• Everyday Blessings: The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting
• How to use a Patient Lifter: A positioning and transfer guide
• A Father's Legacy: Your Life Story in Your Own Words
• The Alpha Course Manual: An Opportunity to Explore the Meaning of Life
• My journal
• The Cheerios Play Book
• Daddy Kisses
Talk about a buzz kill for daily living right? I mean, literally all books feel heavy to me now, but this is ridiculous. With the exception of those for Eva (and the occasional toy she leaves), having all of this on my nightstand has become a mental and emotional burden. I may still read them, but I can’t let them sit there like a pile of work anymore. I need a change of pace. I need to lighten my reading load.
And that’s where you come in. I’ve cleaned up my nightstand. Nothing but a lamp, my journal, one book, and a few pictures. I’m looking for something new to read and I’m asking for your suggestions. What have you read that was riveting, intriguing, and perhaps totally brainless? I only ask that it be fictional and not anything remotely resembling a Harlequin romance. Seriously, add a comment to this post or send me an email, and perhaps one day I’ll share the meaning of life with you. If I ever get around to reading it.